Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Ten Things Every Child with Autism Wishes You Knew

Ten Things Every Child with Autism Wishes You Knew:
1. I am first and foremost a child. I have autism. I am not primarily "autistic."
2. My sensory perceptions are disordered (sight, sound, touch, smell, taste, balance, and/or position)
3. Differentiate between can't and won't
4. I am a concrete thinker. I interpret language literally.
5. Please be patient with my limited vocabulary
6. Because language is so difficult for me. I am very visually oriented.
7. Focus on my abilities, not my inabilities
8. Please help me with social interactions
9. Try to determine what causes my meltdowns
10. Love me unconditionally

These are based on the work of Ellen Notbohm and Dr. Glenis Benson with adaptations by the presenter Mike Johnson. Mike is the President of the Autism Society of Central Wisconsin and was in Medford on Thursday December 8. If you would like a copy of his power point presentation and our additional autism resource handouts, please contact Joseph Greget at the Medford Area Public School District Office.

No comments:

Post a Comment