More information and local training will be forthcoming for staff. Here is the latest from DPI related to required use of web-based IEP: Postsecondary Transition Planning at each IEP meeting for students 14 and older starting in 12-13.
In order to ensure all LEAs in Wisconsin meet the Indicator 13 (Transition) target, DPI has developed a web-based IEP: Postsecondary Transition Plan (PTP). The PTP will assist LEAs to document the postsecondary transition requirements with 100% compliance while allowing for individualization to meet student needs. The PTP will the mechanism for the state to collect Indicator 13 data to maintain 100% compliance with federal and state regulations. State law requires transition plans for students with disabilities aged 14 and above. State of Wisconsin has consistently been below the 100% compliance target - failure to improve will result in sanctions by the U.S. Department of Education. Thus, they have created the PTP system and outlined these new requirements:
Beginning in the 2012-13 school year, use of the PTP will be mandatory for all IEPs developed for students aged 14 and above. Our LEA will be notified of the specific date on which PTP use will be required.
In planning for the implementation of the PTP, each LEA should consider the following issues:
- Students are identified within the PTP system by their Wisconsin
Student Number (WSN). The LEA should ensure all students with
disabilities age 14 and older have a WSN associated with their current
- The PTP will be accessed using a Web Access Management System (WAMS) login and password. Each PTP user must have a WAMS login ID and be assigned appropriate access to the PTP by the LEA's PTP application administrator
- The PTP is designed to be used during the IEP team meeting.
Exclusive use of the PTP will avoid duplication of effort. LEAs should
take steps to make the necessary internet access and computer equipment
available for IEP team meetings.
- DPI will provide web-based training modules and user manuals for the PTP prior to September 1, 2012. LEAs should provide adequate time for PTP users to learn appropriate use of the system.
- LEAs should develop a protocol to ensure PTP use and maintenance of PTP records with the student's IEP. The PTP may be attached to a student's electronic IEP as a PDF file. The capability to share information between the PTP and local IEP management systems via a web service will be available later in the 12-13 school year.