Wilson Just Words provides a word-level intervention for students in grades 4-12
The Just Words class is not just teaching reading and spelling basics, it is providing the foundational skills that are necessary in today’s economy. Just Words provides a curriculum for the accelerated study of word structure through the six syllable types in English and the most common Latin roots. It is a highly explicit, multisensory decoding and spelling program for students in grades 4 – 12 and adults who do not require intensive intervention but do require explicit decoding and spelling instruction due to word-level deficits.
The Just Words phonics and spelling instruction includes:
- Study of English sound system
- Phoneme segmentation skills for up to six sounds in a syllable with application for decoding and spelling
- Syllable structure including six basic syllable types in English and syllable division patterns used for decoding
- Spelling of common Latin suffix endings when added to unchanging basewords
- Process for vocabulary study as well as meaning of common Latin roots
- Decoding application with phrasing for meaning
- Automatic reading and spelling of the first 250 most frequently used words from Edward Fry’s List of High Frequency Words as well as additional high frequency words
- Directed, accelerated pacing of Wilson phonics and spelling instruction
As a Tier II program, Just Words is an appropriate intervention in daily small group or class instruction. Just Words is highly effective for those students with gaps in their decoding and spelling and performing below grade level (16- 50th percentile).