Another school shooting in the United States occurred today at a high school in Florida leaving multiple students killed. Here are resources that may help in talking with students and providing care for families and yourselves as educators.
- Care for the Caregiver - Tips for Families and Educators - https://www.nasponline.org/resources-and-publications/resources/school-safety-and-crisis/talking-to-children-about-violence-tips-for-parents-and-teachers
- Talking to Children About Violence - Tips for Parents and Teachers -https://www.nasponline.org/resources-and-publications/resources/school-safety-and-crisis/talking-to-children-about-violence-tips-for-parents-and-teachers
American Psychological Association Resources:
- Managing Your Distress in the Aftermath of a Shooting: http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/
- In the After-Math of a Shooting: Helping Your Child Manage Distress: http://www.apa.org/
American School Counselor Association Resources:
- Helping Kids After a Shooting: https://www.schoolcounselor.
org/school-counselors/ professional-development/ learn-more/shooting-resources
Child Care and Aware:
- Mass Shooting and Violence Resources: https://usa.childcareaware.
org/advocacy-public-policy/ crisis-and-disaster-resources/ caregiver-and-ccrr-tools- publications-and-resources/ mass-shooting-and-violence- resources/ (Visual Chart)
Thank you for all your efforts in caring about and keeping our students, families, and yourselves safe and well.
Joseph A. Greget
Director of Special Education/Student Services
Medford Area Public School District