We will be talking more about this at upcoming building special education meetings. Here is the latest information from Department of Public Instruction about the changes in testing and assessment next year through Mrs. Lundy. This information will needed when we write accommodations and list testing into the IEPs/504 plans which carry over into 14-15.
Update from Department of Public Instruction on Testing/Accommodations Changes for 14-15
- All juniors will be required to take the ACT and Work Keys(using paper and pencil) in the spring of 2015
- Juniors are required to take the test on the same day and at the same time. They are looking tentatively at March 3, 2015.
- Make up day will tentatively be March 18, 2015.
- All freshmen and sophomores will be taking the Aspire test instead of the Explore and Plan. This is a MAJOR change from the original reports. I guess ACT will no longer be supporting the Plan and Explore after a few years, so DPI decided to go with the Aspire instead.
- The Aspire is not adaptive (it is the same test for everyone) and it is completely online.
- There will be a window of about 2-3 weeks for all 9-10 students to take it.
- Because it is the same test, there will be two forms (A and B). One year they will take A and the next they will take B.
- It will be a predictor of how they will do on the ACT, but it is not based on a 36 pt scale. Instead, it is based on a 3 pts scale. Not sure how that will work.
- During the first year only (2014-15) freshmen will have to take the Aspire twice (once in the spring and once in the fall).
- The WKCE will only be given to 4th and 8th grade students, and only in the areas of social studies and science.
- The WKCE will still be administered in the fall
- The WAA (Wisconsin Alternative Assessment) will no longer be given. It will be replaced by the Dynamic Learning Maps test (DLM).
- The DLM will be given in the spring and will be completely online. It is intended to be given to students who currently take the WAA and are being educated using the new Common Core extended elements.
- This will replace the WKCE in reading and math for grades 3-8.
- It is completely online.
- There will be four parts for each grade level (Math and ELA; multiple choice section and performance task section)
- There will be a window for students to take it that will be in the last 12 weeks of the school year.
- The DPI purchased the interm package, so that there will be an option of schools giving a mini summative assessment in the beginning, middle of the year. In the future, there may be an option for schools to give a customized assessment to groups of students based on specific common core standards.
- Starting next year, PK - 2 grade students will be required to take the fall and spring PALS assessment
- Still paper and pencil test, results inputted online.
- This test is moving to an online test and will require students to view video and speak into a microphone.